Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Holiday Decorating

This past weekend, Jeff, David, and I brought home a tree from a local christmas tree farmer and decorated the house.

We also harvested a whole lotta horseradish roots. Anyone have good recipes for horseradish?!

The chicks are learning to go inside the coop at night and find a perch to spend the night- all on their own. Last night, there was only one straggler: the little Black Marans girl who tends to hide under the chicken house. She's the smallest chick and, therefore, must be at the bottom of the whole pecking order. Poor thing!

In addition to the gourd craft project I've been working on, I'm attempting to make a mosaic candle holder. I finished gluing the glass beads on the recycled glass jar this morning. Next, I'll fill in the gaps with a sanded grout. I'm not sure how this is going to go. The glue gun does not adhere the beads very tightly to the jar. Hopefully, the grout will hold them in place, if they don't all fall off during the grouting process. I recently completed a clay mosaic workshop at the local cultural arts center, which I enjoyed. So, I have a little experience working with mosaics. We'll see how this project turns out, though.

-Annie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The decorations look real pretty.

There are some yummy sounding recipes at allrecipes.com. Just search on the word horseradish at the site. I haven't tried any of them, but they sound good.

Also I had a wonderful dish of some kind of fish coated with grated horseradish and baked on a plank at one of Emeril Legasse's restaurants. I know he did that recipe on tv several years ago. I will try to find the recipe when I get time.

I just love horseradish (hint, hint, if you have any extra).

Looking forward to seeing you next week; I can't believe it's that soon!

momD

Jeff and/or Annie said...

Horseradish is exciting. I can't wait to try some new recipes with it. Thanks for the recipe info! You will certainly be getting some horseradish and egyptian walking onions in your stocking for Christmas. :) -Annie

Karma-la said...

Horseradish makes Wasabi!!!

Marcia said...

love the decorations! Post pix of your mosaic project when you are finished!