Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Spaghetti Squash with meat sauce



Here is the first home cooked dinner of our Locavore Challenge.  Annie grew the spaghetti squash, and we are totally digging it.  We use it just like spaghetti, but it comes from right here on our place.  I cooked it in the microwave.  All you have to do is poke some holes in it, and microwave for 10 minutes, then let it stand for 5 more minutes.  Cut open, take out the seeds, and use a fork to pull the spaghetti-like strands into a bowl.  We did two of them last night, and apparently I didn't have enough holes in the first one - so it kind of blew up in the microwave.


Here you can see the main ingredients (or some that are destined for cooking later).  The sauce came from one day's harvest worth of Annie's Tommy Toe tomatoes.  Actually it began with a couple of patties of sausage that I picked up at Vogelsberg's Bakery in Carrollton.  When I asked where the sausage came from I was told "Right from our own hawgs, and they don't eat much but these doughnuts."  So that's local, and a good use for something that would go to waste.  To that I added in some ground beef from the meat vendor that has recently arrived at Cotton Mill Farmers Market.  I also threw in an onion that was left over from before the challenge (I'm counting that as part of my 10).  I meant to add some of the copious basil on our counter, but forgot.  Nonetheless it was delicious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Quit making me hungry! Good job being a locavore! momD