Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Paradoxes


It's kind of a funny thing, that when there is the most to blog about, there is the least time to blog. Boy has it been busy here around Deerfield.

I guess I'll get the disappointment out of the way early. The hen who has been sitting just crossed the 21-day mark, and there is no sign of hatching. There is also no sign of most of the eggs she had been sitting on (I think setting may be the proper term, but I'll forgive myself). I'm really not sure what the deal is. I mean where the incubator is concerned (I'll get to this later) there are some factors that could cause problems with hatching. On the other hand, with a plain ol' hen, setting on plain ol' eggs - well something oughta happen. So I for one, am a little bummed and frustrated by this. I really thought she would be a guarantee of at least a few baby chicks.

The incubator is probably going to produce some chicks, but probably at a rate much lower than it ought to. I'm really not sure what the deal there is either. The main thing, I think, is that the temperature varies between 99-101 or so, and that isn't supposed to be what happens. In any case, that's my guess. Maybe we just have bag eggs, who knows.

Also the chick with the eye problem, may yet reopen both eyes, but for right now the closed one is swollen and maybe full of pus. Last night we tried to flush it with Saline solution - not sure how well that worked out - but hopefully it will work.

The much bigger deal has been the barn raising. This past saturday we had a fair number of folks show up, and probably with a little better organization on my part (and perhaps some more knowledge on my part) we could have gotten the barn up. Many thanks to all of those who came to help out. Extra special thanks to the people of Full Life Community who rocked all of our worlds. I think with the knowledge of those of us who live here, we could have made a barn, but with their help we made it quicker, better, and cheaper. So again mad ups to them. Also special thanks to those who drove long distances to get here (ie Atlanta or farther - phatman and crowliosis).

By the end of the day we had the floor in, all the rafters up and a beginning on the roof and walls.

Here are some pictures:


The day before as work just began (okay, we'd already dug the holes, poured the cement, and cut the posts)




Here we are fairly early on. We are standing on the lumber to try and counteract it's curvature. Paul (to my left) and his wife Terra (his hand is on her shoulder) were among the rockstars who came to help



Here we are at the lunch break from left to right David, Ellen, Forest, Paul, Will, Jeff, and Terra (lying down).




Here we are near the end of the day, getting ready to put the tin on the roof. Before the day ended we got two pieces actually installed.



Today Annie and I almost finished the roof, but ran out of tin - doh. We probably need about four more pieces of tin to have it completely finished (the roof that is).


peace,

Jeff

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blessings on the eggs in the incubator, since the ones under the hen didn't workout!

Barn's looking good! Love the pictures!

MOMd